Rain blessed rain

After weeks of scorching heat and baking sunshine, I lifted my head at the faint scent of moisture in the air. I wasn't wrong because a tree frog began an anxious croaking.

And then the thunder cracked with an earth-shaking boom. The first drops of rain tickled my arms, but I was too weak at the moment to do anything but thank God for the rain.

It began lightly enough, refreshment for the parched ground and sending up a wonderful fragrance that perfumed the air... a glorious perfume of ... oh, you know what that smells like and how good it is. Then it came down harder, not so hard that it hurt, but it was beating me down, as weak as I was, I couldn't stand against it. My feet were rooted to the ground and I couldn't run for cover like the cat did when it thundered.

"God! Oh, God! Why are You pelting me like this? The refreshing water is wonderful, but why so much? Why so hard?"

"Trust Me, child," He replied. "I know what I am doing because I created you. If I do not give you enough rain, your roots won't go deep into the ground where it is safe and healthy and moist. Too little rain and your roots grow along the top of the ground and they would burn in the sun; they would wither and you would die. It has to be just enough rain to soak deep into the ground. Just enough so when some evaporates, that won't deprive you of My life giving water.

"This rain may seem like a trial to you now... but, soon, your roots will drink, strength will come back and you'll stand proud in the sun and the breeze may bend you, but you won't break. One day, Little Oak, you will stand proud with your arms reaching toward Me and you will point to Me, be a witness to Me. Just like the heavens recount My glory and the expanse proclaim my handiwork there will be no speech and no words where your voice is not heard. Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice; let the sea roar, and the fullness of it. Let the field be joyful, and all that is in it; then the trees of the forest shall rejoice for the Light has come and the Son shines forth."

Psalm 19 and 96

3 comments:

Refreshment in Refuge said...

This short was inspired by last night's thunder storm, a post by my sister in Christ, Jules at Maced With Grace (link on the side bar), and most importantly, my beloved Lord God. I had a glimmer of an idea, but it wouldn't go together.

Then I prayed.

Isn't that how we sometimes act? Let's scurry here and there before we go to the true Source for answers?

Most of the time, our blessings will seem like Trials and then when the clouds part, we can see clearly how wonderful the Blessing actually is.

Anonymous said...

I can relate. Last night we had an intense storm for a time. It gave us a few power surges and tripped the bedroom breakers. Somehow the thought of going out in the storm to fix the breakers seemed burdensome, yet not fixing them brings forth a whining response. LOL!

When I was out there I was torn between deciding if this was irritating being pelted by the rain or refreshing to feel cool water quench my limited time outside that day.

I wonder if some of these events are all dependent upon our starting attitude. If I felt like what else could go wrong...it felt as if I was being pelted. If I felt like the world was my friend, then I felt like singing and dancing in the refreshing rain. Hmm...

I suppose this is the reason it is so important to cleanse our hearts before we embrace God's Word. We need to start with the right attitude and focus. So we can receive it with joy!

I love you dearly my sweet sister smothered in caramel sauce, Julianne

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Julianne, I love you so very much! My sister, it is amazing how precious you have become. Especially in the times of trouble, I have leaned on you and Laurie heavily... that is a blessing of such great price it is uncountable. Thank you!