Books

Because I love books and this is one of my passions, and because Trin is a really sweet fellow, I decided to accept Trin's tag.

Book Meme
So apparently I was tagged by Trin.


There is One book that literally answers every one of these and that is my beloved Bible. I cannot go a day without reading it because I get so much from it that my soul overflows. But, in the spirit of this thing, I shall congitate on this and give you some books that I have truly enjoyed.

1. One book that changed your life -- My Bible

2. One book you've read more than once--The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Jane Aiken
It is a children's book and I read it about 7 or 8 times when I was 8 or 9 years old, then I read it a couple of more times when I was 10 then I read it again when I was an adult. I enjoyed it as much when I was an adult as when I was a kid. This book taught me lots of wonderful words and that I could do anything that I set my mind to do. I have also read every book written by Georgette Heyer at least twice and most of them 3 times and a few 4 times.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island -- My Bible

4. One book that made you laugh -- All Creatures Great and Small and All Things Bright and Beautiful by James Herriott. This series is just about the best written books that I have read. Classic! Witty, full of life lessons and outstanding insight into human nature. Great books! I can hardly wait to dive into Every Living Thing -- But THE book that made my cheeks hurt and tears run down and my sides hurt from laughing is -- I'll Trade You An Elk by Charles Goodrum. This book is so good that it could be a TV series. It's a true story. Young Charles is faced with a father who is laid off during the depression but wrangles the job with the city as the "developer". He gets the brilliant idea to revamp the local zoo and it is one mishap and adventure after another. I do not think it is still in print, but you may find it on someone's old book list. It was printed back in 1959 or 60 I think.

5. One book that made you cry -- The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas and Though None Go With Me by Jerry Jenkins. Taught me two things... you can't run from God and it is absolutely the best thing in the world to remain within God's will. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee made me laugh and cry.

6. One book you wish had been written -- Life After The Beast by Nebchadnezzer

7. One book you wish had never been written -- Anything by Jackie Collins or Elizabeth Lowell

8. One book you're currently reading-- I have just finished All Things Bright and Beautiful and tonight I'll start All Things Wise And Wonderful by James Herriott.

9. One book you've been meaning to read -- The Revelation Record by Dr. Henry Morris

10. Now tag 5 people-- not going to do that. If you want to join in, please leave a comment with a link to your blog and we'll all go check out your answers.

11. The most interesting non-fiction book (besides the Bible) was Rising Tide by John Barry. It is about the 1929 Mississippi River Flood and it is tremendous. I wish someone would do a documentary of it. If we'd only learn from our mistakes!

Please note that in a year, my answers to the questions will have changed. I didn't even mention Pride and Prejudice, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Count of Monte Cristo, Emma, The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Edgar Allen Poe, Martha Stewart, Georgette Heyer, and a host of other authors which I do not have time or space to honor.

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Fascinating list, Gina. I love James Herriott, too. Believe it or not, I am still a fan of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books - I can't begin to tell you how many times I read them as a child, as a mom reading them to my kids, and even now sometimes during the winter when I'm sitting next to my fireplace.

I'll check out some of these book you mentioned when I get the time this fall.

EXSENO said...

Where do you find the time. I never got into reading until I retired. Really learned to love libraries. I'd love to work in one. I think book are treasures. I don't want to see them disappear, beacuse everything is becoming so computerized.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

AMEN! I adore reading, but most especially when I snuggle in my bed at night I read anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour before I turn out the light. I learned my lesson though, I don't read suspense novels before I try to sleep because they steal my slumber!

Pilot Mom said...

I love James Herriott too! In fact, we were living in Montana and I had my annual doctor's visit (ahem) and Jim had taken me. I had just finished one of the books in his series and had given it to Jim to read. Well, he cracked up while he was reading, in the waiting room filled with pregnant women. He had tears coming out of his eyes. I think he was reading about Cedric the dog who would look behind him! ;) Anyway, a great list you have here.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Claire, I didn't laugh so much at Cedric as I did when James went to Granville's house to eat, only they had to "pop into the pub" and down several gallons of beer. I wonder if he ever met Mrs. Granville when he was entirely sober.

What an absolutely marvelous outlook on life when one can see it through the humor glasses!