The Greatest Of These Is Love


I was thinking about the Character of God today and was reminded of these words...


1Co 13:1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but I do not have love, I have become as sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And if I have prophecies, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give out all my goods, and if I deliver my body that I be burned, but I do not have love, I am not profited anything. 4 Love has patience, is kind; love is not envious; love is not vain, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave indecently, does not pursue its own things, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth. 7 Love quietly covers all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. But if there are prophecies, they will be caused to cease; if tongues, they shall cease; if knowledge, it will be caused to cease. 9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect thing comes, then that which is in part will be caused to cease. 11 When I was an infant, I spoke as an infant, I thought as an infant, I reasoned as an infant. But when I became a man, I caused to cease the things of the infant. 12 For now we see through a mirror in dimness, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will fully know even as I also was fully known.
13 And now faith, hope, and love, these three things remain;
but the greatest of these is love.

How often we use the word love in our speech.

I love spinach. I love that T.V. show. I love__________.

I love church. I love Sunday School. I love that story. I love Jesus.

How wonderful the Greeks had several different words for Love. I think I shall be a bit more careful how I use the word, for I dare not cheapen it when I speak it to those that I love here on earth and also in Heaven.

How precious that our Bridegroom felt this kind of love for us, for while we were yet sinners, He died for us. I can hardly wait until He comes, for surely the Father will soon say, "Go get your Bride, Son, go get her and bring her home!"

5 comments:

M. C. Pearson said...

Oh yes! I agree that we say 'love' so much and don't really mean it.

Makes you really stop and wonder why the English never had more words for love.

I've written a YA Christian Fantasy (not yet published) and in it I have a 'password' that needs to be said in order for the protag to get into the fantasy realm. It goes like this:

The question asked to the protag is: "If you love, you will say the one true love that leads the way."

Can you guess the answer?

"Agape."

Tom said...

Which translation did you use for those verses?

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Mimi, I "love" that! What a great password! I may change all my passwords ;)

Tom, I used the Literal Translation from my E-Sword. You can download it totally free at www.e-sword.net or you can email Rick Meyers and ask for a CD and you'll get everything from the site that is offered free. We donated $15 for his ministry. It has 18 different translations from ASV to YLT... even the Message. Plus 11 commentaries and Strong's and Theyer's and Webster's dictionary. Everything you need for in-depth Bible study! It's great!

Laurie said...

Oh Gina,
There has been a renewed meaning in my heart for the "Love Expressions". I can hardly contain my emotions when I think of Christ's unconditional "dying" love for us. I don't want to confuse people when I say, "I Love...", but I know I do.
Can we come up with some knew terms..:D, I know you can..you are so eloquent at words. :) Do I adore, am I fond of, do I like or am I infatuated with, maybe it's ardor or zest, maybe just appreciation. I wonder how many words we can come up with for the thoughts we really have...

With deep affection towards you my sister my friend!!
Laurie
(can I still say love? :))

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Yes! I love you, too ;)

I think I hear a challenge, actually...