Blogging as a ministry

I was reading Dee Andrew's blog today. A fellow Christian asked the question if blogging can be considered a ministry. I, too, am extremely interested in this question. If you'd take 30 seconds to give your opinion, it would be greatly appreciated. Brad will pick up the answers here, or you can email him (brad at the bloggers dot com) if you'd prefer not to post publically. He will be giving a talk about this very thing. Here is what I wrote him today:

Saw what you were going to talk about on Dee’s blog so thought I’d shoot you a line.

When I was first introduced to the internet back in 1997, my hands actually shook when I clicked on the www. And I was terrified of what I’d find. Didn’t take long to find a Christian chat room, then when that got too hectic, I switched to a message board/forum and that is when my soul started stretching. It was astounding how many people wanted to challenge what I believed. I had to start digging in the Bible to defend my beliefs. Then God allowed some sifting of me… bringing that dross to the surface and letting the uglies rise so that I would know and face what He could already see in me. After about six years, I got tired of the same ole, same ole discussions. Christians generally believe the same things about the essentials—that’s why we are Christians, but those side trips people like to take are overworked repeatedly until I realized that we are drones within our beliefs.

God took me down a path to do some work for Him and that is how Refreshment in Refuge was born—the Women’s Retreat, not the blog. Last year, God challenged me again to start up a blog. My hands weren’t shaking this time. I was really smiling. I had the world at my fingertips! Ooooo, there it was. That ugly that never got taken care of with God. Pride. I had too much of it and was sneaking some of God’s glory for myself. I’ll spare you the details, let it suffice to say that God wanted that particularly hateful dross to be skimmed. I can’t say that it has completely been taken care of, yet. BUT… we are working on it.

I ran across a blog of a young man who said that blogging was no place for ministry. [insert really shocked look here] I was astounded. Of course I posted a comment that blogs are an excellent medium for ministry. Reaching out to touch those who need words of encouragement. Blogs do not have hands to warm others hands, or arms to hugs someone hurting. Blogs can’t hand you a bowl of soup if you are hungry and can’t throw a blanket over you if you are cold. But, then what homeless person has the wherewithal to sit down a read blogs? Blogs are a ministry to those in a different world, to those who rely on words, count on words, are encouraged by words, who believe in words and who can be crushed by words. Some people believe something more if it is in black and white, published on the net, or written in the Bible.

I love words. My livelihood depends on words being put together in the right way to persuade others. Fifty-four million blogs being tracked by Technorati, but there are many more lurkers than that. Not all are searching for God or some word of encouragement. Not all, but if just one is encouraged by a word from God on my blog, that is enough for me. If just lost person stumbles onto my blog and starts thinking there is something to this God-thing… that is enough. God doesn’t require us to make the seed grow! God just requires us to scatter the seed and then to water it from time to time… the growth in is God’s hands.








8 comments:

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Dear Laura, thank you so much for posting this. I agree with you! I'll never have a huge amount of traffic either... but, the thing is, my ministry is to other Christians and on my way through life, I try very hard to make sure all whom I meet, meet Jesus.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Laura, this is quite strange... I tried to go to your blog, but blogger said it wasn't on "this" server. Hmmm

Refreshment in Refuge said...

You are welcome ;) But, Brad, I was trying to keep you from getting a bunch of spam emails by writing out your email addy.

Valerie said...

Yes, I do believe that blogging can be a ministry - and you said it far better than I ever could.

I can't believe how many times I've been blessed by people like you, or Jules at HeyJules, or Paula at Paula's walk or Darlene at CWO - all of you are my sisters in Christ!

So yes, I believe that it can be used to minister to and be ministered by others.

Laurie said...

Gina,
For so many of you, I think blogging is a ministry! I have been ministered to and have received exhortation through the insight and wisdom of Gods Word and the encouragements for Godly living.

Ministry -Diakonia
~ service, ministering, esp. of those who execute the commands of others;
~ of those who by the command of God proclaim and promote religion among men.

I have never looked at my blog as being a ministry tool, but recently I had a Jewish visitor who spent a bit of time on my site and went to the Hebraic Roots Studies site that I have a link to. I linked to his site and he does not appear to be saved. I may not view my site as a Ministry, but it may very well be evangelistic.
Up until this I had not really prayed for those who may visit my site, but now I do! To God be the Glory and may He be magnified in all we say, do and think!!

Blessings Sister!
Laurie

Pilot Mom said...

Most definitely blogs can be used for ministry! Gina, your blog is definitely used by our great Lord! :)

Nappily Evah Aftah said...

Blogging can be a ministry — but I know I blog because it ministers to me, primarily. It's cathartic. Now, I'm blessed to know that somebody gets something out of my rambling, but I'm very honest in my blogging, and some folk can't handle that.

What I appreciate about you, Gina, is your amazing transparency. Some of us walk around in our "Jesus clothes" and we aren't able to really minister to others, because when folks read what we write, they feel like they're reading something written by a higher life form, rather than from a fallen human being who needs Jesus everyday, to get up out of bed, go thru the daily grind, and keep from going postal. I don't have all the answers and life is hard, and sometimes it seems that righteous living doesn't pay the best dividends down here. That's how it feels sometimes. We have to bring our feelings under subjection. But, I try to tell it like it is, so somebody can say, "Hey, I'm not crazy. Somebody else is feeling this way and God hasn't abandoned them". Now, that's ministry, to me.

I try to blog from the heart,and not from the heavens. Some of the greatest ministry comes by way of honesty and humility.

Thanks for keepin' it real, girl :)

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Thank you, Tracey... I am constantly amazed at what touches people from my blogging and other writings.

I love the way you are so honest. That is a quality that I value above all others.

PS>>I think you are right about the "higher plain" type posts. If you can identify, then to me it's the same as someone speaking in tongues with no one to interpret.