Beloved Betrothed


(In honor of Valentine's Day, I had to drag this out of 2005 archives.)

To be betrothed. How marvelously wonderful that is. A Jewish mother would be proud. "See my daughter over there? No, the beautiful one. She's betrothed. She'll be married for all eternity." I know He will come. I am eagerly anticipating His coming for me. My lamp is lit and I have plenty of oil. How secure that is.

What's that? Is security all I'm looking for? Oh, no. Security is just a fringe benefit. There is something far more valuable. I've never been dead, but I imagine it is not a pleasant state when one does not have a Betrothed. A state I do not wish to contemplate right now. I'd much rather consider what I do have. Why does He love me so? I cannot fathom that, not the full scope of it.

Jesus is the physical side of God. He is the one that we can relate to so He is the one that we are betrothed to. I am so in love with Him that I cannot fathom how deep my love is and where His love begins. I cannot fathom how His Spirit has made my soul so vibrantly alive that I am not alone for He is constantly with me. Power and Glory and Majesty is He, but more also is He. Only Jesus, only God can pour righteousness over me as fragrant oil...and through nothing that I do, it is just His love that makes me pure. He does this for me because He loves me.

He raises His sword and destroys all fear and conquers my insecurity.
He is my God, my King, my Beloved, Ruler of my heart--tender and sweet is He. Because He wept at His friend’s grave site, He understands my grief as my tears roll down His fingers and my trembling chin is lifted by His palm.
His eyes so full of love spread healing balm throughout my being. He is there because…
Because He had no place to lay His head, He knows the weariness of my body.
Because He walked with feet bare and dusty, He knows the pain in my feet and ankles.
Because He held a baby, He knows my love for my children.
Because He stilled the sea,He knows the storms in my heart.
Because He knew hunger, He knows my hatred for diets.
Because He built a chair, He knows why I must sit down.
Because He loves me, I am at rest.
Because He died for me, I can enter the throne room of God.

That huge splendorous place filled with His train. I tremble, I shake and at the Thunder from the Throne I fall to my face. So ashamed am I. So undone. I am so unworthy I cannot look upon His face. The Four Living Creatures protect me from His Glory or I shall cease to exist. I am mute with terror. I have no words for my defense. Then suddenly, a warm hand presses my shoulder and soft white robe comes between me and the throne. I grab His robe and press my face deep into it. A low voice whispers tender words to me and my terror melts away. His hand slides across my back and He lifts me in His arms so strong, His strength stills the tremors of my terror like His breath stilled the wind and calmed the waves. He looks at The Father and simply says for all to hear, "Father, this one is mine."

"Oh how sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His word."

7 comments:

Pilot Mom said...

Gina, this is absolutely beautiful! The way it flows...wow! He certainly has gifted you with a talent for writing. You are able to express what I would desire to express but in know way could I put pen to paper and come out with this! :) Thank you for a beautiful mid-morning break today! I lift up my eyes....thank you!

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Oh, Claire, but you do! In a different way, but you do! Thank you for I love to boast in Christ.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

You are getting the hang of it, dear brother! Good post btw.

Valerie said...

Profoundly beautiful. A simple "thank you" is not enough, but it is all I have to give.

EXSENO said...

That is beautiful Gina.

Gina if you want some more juvenile stories all you have to do is type in at the top of the search engine, juvenile crime stories and the search engine will bring up a whole list of things. But type it in the big one at the very top.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Val, the fact that God has used me to bless is such an honor. You are welcome!

Exseno, THANKS! I did that but I didn't find one so funny as you found :)

Anonymous said...

Did you know that being betrothed is an illustration of predestination?

In the East marriages are arranged before the children are born by the parents. The one betrothed will not know who she will be married to until she had reached puberty. Then her "husband" will be brought to her to be introduced. Once the engagement has begun...the "husband" will go to prepare the marriage chamber..usually an addition to his parents house.

In predestination...our Father has betrothed us to His Son before we are born. Our wedding to Him is arranged. We..who are destined to be wed to Him do not know it until He comes and introduces Himself to us to begin our engagement. We are considered married to Jesus... and He becomes our kinsman redeemer..or Husband.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_view_of_marriage

http://www.jjkent.com/articles/jewish-marriage-ceremony.htm