Must be the fog



It must be the fog that makes things so unclear, right? Why else couldn't we look out into the future and know what God has in store? Why God allows all these trials and things to beset us?

No. It isn't the fog. God tells us plainly why these tribulations befall us... thorough James. How many times have I read this passage? Why did it hit home today and finally make sense? I don't know. I prayed yesterday morning for God to give me a delight to take a picture of for the front page of our paper. Something that would be picture postcard gift to our subscribers as a Thanksgiving gift.

I never go across the lake in the morning on my way to work. This morning I had to go pick up a story from a proud grandmother. It was about her grandson's marriage to a very lovely young lady. The fog was horrible. As I was coming back across the lake, I was stunned at the beauty of the sun trying to shine throug the fog. Gorgeous. So I stopped in the middle of the road (folks around here are used to that sort of thing), and took this picture.

Then, you won't believe this, I proceded to drive around another lake searching for some Thanksgiving display. Then I went across the levee to see if I could take a picture of fog on the Mississippi River. All to no avail. But, when I got to the office and downloaded the pics I had on my camera... I was stunned again at the beauty of this picture.

We keep looking beyond, trying to see through the fog, trying to figure out God's purpose because we think knowing God's purpose will make sense and will make us well... heal us from the troubles or what ever is ailing us.

God smacked it home to me that sometimes, it is the fog that is the important thing. God's fog obscures those things that are unimportant to pursue and causes a great beauty right in front of our eyes. Sometimes the fog is a protection for we may not have the tools or the strength to handle whatever is behind the fog. Thank you, Lord, for the fog. Thank you, Lord, for giving me this delight to share with all those precious children of Yours.

So... back to James...


James 1:1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, sends words of love to the twelve tribes of the Jews living in all parts of the earth. 2 Let it be all joy to you, my brothers, when you undergo tests of every sort; 3 Because you have the knowledge that the testing of your faith gives you the power of going on in hope; 4 But let this power have its full effect, so that you may be made complete, needing nothing.

Rejoice in the tests of every sort.

The tests gives the power of hope.

The power makes us complete so that we need nothing.

That is a universe-size lesson in this pea-size brain of mine. I am awed; I am humbled; I am undone. God is so good.
 Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i remember my friend telling me the other day that whatever trials or testings i'm going through now, i shouldn't resist them but instead i should embrace them. That God lets me go through them to make me strong in my faith.

Anonymous said...

In my book, if a person cannot be polite and show ID and leave when asked, then he’s opening the door to this type of treatment… no matter what religion or nationality he is.

If you believe this, you don't understand what the United States stands for.

As a Canadian, I'm ashamed you are an American.

If I had the rights that your country used to have, not only would I cherish them more than you - but I would also at the very least try to understand what they actually are.

So after the guy was in cuffs, they continued to shock him. Why?

A 5 second shock can immobilize your muscles from 5 to 15 minutes (the whole point of a taser is to stop people from doing something, not make them do something) - so how could he stand up?

Maybe if you believe in God you should actually try to use the brain she put inside your head.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

The anonymous poster is referring to my column on Blogger News Network located at http://www.bloggernews.net/12269

See... if you listen closely, you can here exactly when the taser is used and that is long after the student screams obscenities and long after the police repeatedly tell him to stand up.

I'm quite sure you, Anon, do not know what the United States stands for. I pay my taxes and I contribute to police funds because I want to be protected from that kind of person who rebels against authorities and who refuses to follow policies set in place for my safety. I don't know anyone that would have a problem with that.

Anonymous said...

Okay, another person who does not understand while we have freedom, we also have boundaries of law given to protect us. Complete freedom would mean that everybody is a god unto themselves and decides what is right and wrong with no standard...in that surely they will infringe on the rights of others. There must be a standard and order to keep infringment at a minimum.

Anyhow dear Gina...thank you for your post. The fog is protection at times we don't know it.

Blessings to you dear sister, Julianne

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Hugs to you my dear sister, Pia. You are so precious!

Julianne, [grin] you can hit a nail anytime!

Anonymous said...

See... if you listen closely, you can here exactly when the taser is used and that is long after the student screams obscenities and long after the police repeatedly tell him to stand up.

And after he is in handcuffs. Do you believe the taser is used as a sadistic weapon to force people to do something or a weapon to stop people from physically attacking police? There is a reason they no longer call it a non-lethal weapon and have to legally call it a less-lethal weapon.

You wait a few months and see as the entire video incident comes to light at the trial. Every inch of that place is on camera (except the bathrooms of course).

Also, since you are listening closely listen right at the very end. Hear the office asked what his badge number is and then he threatens another student with being tasered. Is that your America? Sounds more like Russia to me. And according to regulations it's also illegal for the police to do.

You don't understand your freedoms. The world is watching the once great America become something she has never stood for.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

You are entitled to your opinions, Anon. You speak of things that you do not understand yourself.

I know America is becoming something foreign... It is also becoming obscene and atheistic. I do what I can, I pray and I try to shed light in a dark world. God go with you, Anon.

Anonymous said...

Not too long ago I wrote about an experience I had while driving to work-- I called it the "fog of faith".

http://trumpeter.wordpress.com/?s=fog

Nice post.

Anonymous said...

"As a Canadian, I'm ashamed you are an American. If I had the rights that your country used to have, not only would I cherish them more than you - but I would also at the very least try to understand what they actually are."

"Is that your America? Sounds more like Russia to me. And according to regulations it's also illegal for the police to do. You don't understand your freedoms."

I've always appreciated it when people from other countries come around and try to tell us what we stand for and how we should act and feel as members of our own country. But I suppose that's not just me. I suppose most people don't like it any more than I do, regardless of the country they're in.

There are interesting perceptions when we hear these things. Perceptions like "I know so much more than you do about your country" or "My view is so far superior to yours." One feels like "My country doesn't make mistakes. You should be ashamed of yours." Of course that doesn't apply in the case of this anonymous antagonist because this one admits that they don't have the rights we have. So, apparently, if they did live in America and have the rights we have, no one in America would ever do anything questionable and no one should be allowed to have an opinion about those actions that differs from theirs.

The events at UCLA are unclear. None of us were there. Even if we were, the eyewitnesses were unclear. Some have said he refused to cooperate, while others have said the police overreacted. Even the opinion people who weren't there can't agree, based on the video. Some say it "proves" that the student was belligerent and resisting, while others say it "proves" police brutality. Theoretically we have a system in this country called "a justice system" that will examine the evidence and come to a conclusion. In the meantime, while I suspect it is unwise to express our own conclusions on the event, it is our right to do so as Americans. It's just a shame that some people feel the need to not only disagree, but do so rudely. Here in America, we allow that, even if they're Canadian.