A Case of Dog Food

There is a very enlightened and fun pastor of North Monroe Baptist Church who has a morning devotional on channel 11 every weekday morning. I make a point of being there to see how Bill Dye looks at the world and life with the Christian worldview. He, so very often, gives me a chuckle or an insight that is a gold nugget I carry around all day. This morning was a special delight that I can't pass the chance to share.

The one this morning went like this:

Pastor Bill's dog took a dislike to dry dog food. Just wouldn't eat it. So he got the idea to buy some nice, juicy canned dog food. As soon as that food hit her bowl, she dived into and when he came close to the bowl, she got this mean look in her eye and actually snarled at sweet Pastor Bill, like she was saying, "Don't you dare come near my food. Don't you dare try to take it away from me!"

Why would he take it away? He went to the store and bought the food, opened the can, dumped the food in. Bill Dye doesn't eat dog food. Dog food does not sustain Bill Dye. Bill Dye takes care of and loves his dog and when he went to all that trouble would never, ever take it back.

Pastor Bill said that God shone a light on that moment. God said, "Bill, it's all dog food to Me."

I have never contemplated that thought before. It is all dog food to God. He created us, His good and most excellent, fragile creation. He created the world and all that is in the universe. He provided all the ingredients for us to survive in abundant living with not only delicious, juicy food, but also the universe around us filled with amazing discoveries to exercise our brains. Once the home was created, Man sinned. Then, God sent His Son to pay the bride price so sin would no longer make us slaves... the Law would have no claim on us... death has no sting. God showers on those that love Him all manner of blessings from basic needs to deep desires and those blessings spill over onto those that have no regard for Him.

Knowing that He is the Great I AM, the King of the Universe, we still grab onto all our stuff with a death grip and snarl at God when He draws near.

Bill Dye quoted Corrie Ten Boom: Don't hold on to your things with such a tight grip that it hurts when God has to pry your fingers loose. (loose paraphrase)

We so often lose sight of the bald fact, it's all dog food to God.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you miss your *tag* the other day on my blog? :)

Valerie said...

Hi Gina:

Great post - I absolutely loved it.

Anonymous said...

Don't hold on to your things with such a tight grip that it hurts when God has to pry your fingers loose. (loose paraphrase)

Great devotional thought. When I read the quote...that small voice said to me "The one who is hurt...is Me...I do not like to pry my creatures fingers from what they are holding on too tight."

My mind flashed with text from the Old Testament about how God was greived by Israel's rejection of Him. He was pained to bring judgment...though they had violated His covenant. How different this is from the misrepresentation of those who say God of the Old Testament is a God of wrath. They miss the love and grace of God that is there.

HeyJules said...

Gina, that post was great...and I'm not just saying that because I'm having trouble getting my dog to eat dry food either!

What a unique way to look at things.

Anonymous said...

hi, gina.

Ok, Bonnie over at God's Most Wanted, has so kindly tagged me with the following meme:

1. Go into your archives.
2. Find your 23rd post.
3. Post the fifth sentence (or closest to it).
4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions.
5. Tag five other people to do the same thing.

My 23rd post was from my June 30, 2005 entry:
"Love Moves in Mysterious Ways" (Song by Julia Fordham)
The 5th sentence was:
"You and I wouldn't even try making sense of it."

Now it's my turn to tag five people:

1. Darlyn from My Very Own, My Family
2. Andrea from Adventures of an Ordinary Christian
3. Cindy-lou from The song In My Heart
4. Gina from Refreshment in Refuge
5. Becky from The Faith Expedition

Just for fun. God bless!


http://myblog2002.blogspot.com

Corry said...

Great post, Gina.

You know what I think the funny and most awful part is? The things we like to hold on to are not even worth holding onto. It reminds me of this scripture:
Ecclesiastes 1:14
I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and indeed, all is vanity and grasping for the wind.

God's Grace.

Corry said...

Oh, our dog still eats dry food, hehe. I wonder for how long:-)

God's Grace.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Dear Gayla... I'll get the tag thingy done as soon as possible. And Pia, I'll add yours to the same post, 'k?

Dear sweet Val and Jules and Corry! I only wish I'd thought of it! LOL

Jer and Corry, y'all's comments reminded me of a story called "The Treasure". I'll have to try to remember how it went and then post it one day soon. It'll go with this post beautifully.

Kim said...

I LOVE THIS POST! I will be linking to this from over at my place. I will write that quote on my bulletin board today: It's all dog food to God.

Thank you Gina!