Redefining the debate of Christianity vs Homosexuality

I just read one of the best discussions on the public debate that homosexuality is a sin argument. 


Of course we Christians know it is a sin, but we are all sinners. That is where Trevin Wax says the debate is lost by Christians. He points out that in the Larry King show discussion Jennifer Knapp asked the question (loosely paraphrased here) So we are all sinners, then why are you judging me and I'm not judging you? 


He says that we should go back to basics and focus on repentance instead of the sin. All I can say is WOW! Isn't this what we've been taught since Primary in Sunday School? All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God. Which is the ultimate reason we should repent and turn to Him for only He has made the one perfect sacrifice. Thank you, God! Thank you.


Trevin Wax also points out that we should not allow ourselves to be defined by our sexuality. This is what I've been preaching for years and years. The main thing I hate that homosexuals do is that stick out there hand and say, "Hi I'm _____, and I'm gay." So? I do not want to know what you do behind a closed bedroom door! But, since you bring it up... I'm celibate because God declared certain things concerning Man and Woman and one of those things is that sexual intimacy is between a man and his wife and no others. There is the blessing, and it is sin otherwise. Since we all sin, we all must repent. Being celibate is not who I am, nor am I defined by my singleness, or that I am female, yet all of those things are part of me.


What truly aggravates me is that these people (both those who have loved ones who are homosexual and those who practice homosexuality), are in my face flaunting it and calling me judgmental when they exhibit a huge intolerance for literal Scripture and those of faith before me. The so-called Christian homosexual declares that everyone since Moses has misunderstood the Bible and the Biblical principle dealing with same gender sex. The arrogance of this is distressing to me. It distresses me because I know that they have bought into Satan's lies.


Satan has deceived them for one reason which is to deflate and putrefy the Christian witness. When someone is struggling with same gender attraction, it is a sign of something much deeper than sex. It is a sign of misdirected esteem, a lack of deep Biblical roots, and a desperate searching for acceptance and love. That cuts me to the heart. I weep for them because they do not understand just how much God loves them, and because of His Son, accepts them just where they are. Just as I am without one plea but that Thy blood was shed for me. How incredibly wonderful that is. 


We Christians, who know better, should keep David's Psalm 39 in mind. 
Psalm 39:1  To the chief musician, to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David. I said, I will keep my ways from sinning with my tongue; I will keep my mouth with a muzzle while the wicked are before me.


We would do well to put a muzzle on judgment and focus on repentance... 

2 comments:

Stan said...

I agree that repentance is the issue. Unfortunately, despite the overwhelming evidence and the fact that every single human knows it (How many don't know "To err is human ..."?), humans tend to justify their sin and, as such, have no need for repentance. As you point out, the homosexual ... even those who claim to believe the Bible ... try to tell us it's not a sin. So ... if there is no need for repentance, how do I call them to repentance?

On the other hand, every Gospel message preached from Acts on included a beginning with the Bad News -- "You're sinners (and they specified sins) in serious trouble." Overemphasis on homosexuals as the worst of all possible sinners is nonsense. On the other hand, ignoring it when it is being defended as good is dangerous. Somewhere, on that path to repentance, there is a need for balance.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Exactly.

I'm thinking the balance will never come though because Satan's web is so sticky!