Attributes of the Giver day 2
5. Wants to feel a part of the ministries to which he contributes.
6. Wants gift to be of high quality or craftsmanship.
7. Feels delighted when his gift is an answer to specific prayer.
8. Gives only by the leading of the Holy Spirit.
Givers understand they are God’s funnel. In Genesis chapter 13, we are regaled of how God’s blessing of chapter 12 had come to full fruit. Abram had so much stuff and Lot (who went everywhere Abram went—don’t you think he recognized a good thing when he saw it?) had so much stuff and servants that they all quarreled. Read verses 6-13 and jot down a couple of things you discern about how Abram handles the trouble and see if you can find verses that exhibit attributes 5-8 above.
Now compare verses 13 and 15. Lot chose the way of man and Abram received God’s blessing. Why do you think God waited until after Lot chose his land to give Abram his land?
Abram knew God was the Giver and the Taker. There was no question in Abram’s mind that all he had came from the Lord. He trusted God to take care of him and all that he possessed since what he possessed was God’s anyway. (We know this because Abram learned this lesson between the verses 12:9 and 12:20.)
9. Views hospitality as an opportunity to give. (Greek word for hospitality is filocenia pronounced fil-ox-en-ee'-ah which means love to strangers.)
10. Quickly volunteers to help where a need is seen.
11. Handles finances with frugality and wisdom.
12. Seeks confirmation on the amount to give.
Take a look at Genesis 18:1-9. Here is an example of tremendous hospitality. Notice a few things here...It was the heat of the day, Abraham was a very rich man, he was 99 years old and yet—
a. Abraham ran to the three Men and bowed low—
b. He offered water to wash their feet—
c. He offered rest—
d. He offered a meal—
e. He waited upon them himself—
Can you see why each point above is evidence of hospitality?
Never = 0
Seldom = 1
Sometimes = 2
Usually = 3
Mostly = 4
Always = 5
Continue the Study...
Considered thoughts from Gina Burgess at 7:11 AM