4 cups of the Passover

(This is from my friend Wayne whom I met in my online Bible study at Studylight.org)

I completely agree regarding Passover as a picture of the wedding. Here is my understanding of the meaning of the 4 Cups of the Passover meal.

Exodus 6: 6 "Say, therefore, to the sons of Israel, 'I am the YHWH, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, and I will deliver you from their bondage. I will also redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments.
7 'Then I will take you for My people, and I will be your Elohim; and you shall know that I am YHWH your Elohim, who brought you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
8 'I will bring you to the land which I swore to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and I will give it to you for a possession; I am YHWH.'"

The Four Cups of the Passover are Four "I Wills"

1. “I will bring you out” – Yatsa – the Cup of Sanctification/Kiddush
2. “I will rescue you” – Natsal – the Cup of Deliverance
3. “I will redeem you” – Ga’al – the Cup of Redemption
4. “I will take you as my people” – Laqach (take) – the Cup of Praise/Acceptance

The cool thing is the Cup of Praise and the word Laqach, take.

It is the same word meaning to take a bride.

Examples:

Gen 24: 51 "Here is Rebekah before you, take (laqach) her and go, and let her be the wife of your master's son, as the LORD has spoken."

Leviticus 21: 13 'He shall take (laqach) a wife in her virginity."

I believe the 4th Cup of the Passover is the Cup that Messiah will drink with us in the Kingdom, at the wedding feast of the Lamb:

Matthew 26: 29 "But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."

Question: Why does Jesus want to marry the Bride?

No comments: