A most interesting conversation

I had one of the most interesting conversations the other day... well, about 2 weeks ago--with a gentleman who is a WWII veteran. Click on the link below to read the first part.

He grew up in Picayune and volunteered to the Army.

There was a bit of confusion at the gates of Camp Shelby, just outside of Hattiesburge, Mississippi. The Army was used to handling draftees, not volunteers. After they sorted all that out they trained two new recruits: Ray F. Mitchell and his cousin Sonny.

I'm going to take the next few days and tell his story. The first part of the story is here. I'm running his story on the front page of the paper, but there just isn't enough room to tell the whole story and I think this is a story that needs to be told. It is quite a nail-biter, on-the-edge-of-your-seat kind of story. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: