Mars Task Force

Directly from the memoirs of Sgt. Major Ray Mitchell

The success of the mission in Burma was completed by the Mars Task Force.

The Unit was deactivated and the casual was mostly sent into China. In China, men were dispersed into many units to make ready for the invasion of Japan. Men were assigned to Chinese units as instructors, others as truck drivers, etc. My job was to oversee a casual detachment to dispense men to other units in need.

When the war ended with the dropping of the atomic bombs, I moved our detachemnt back to Kunming, China, a three day road trip by truck. On arriving in Kunming, hoping to be shipped to India for a trip home, we were immediately moved into downtown Kunming to protect American installations, officers, hotels, Red Cross buildings and USO buildings. The Civil War between the Communists and Nationalists had begun. There was a fight for contol.

As the battle moved on, we were moved out of Kunming to a camp where we were processed and flown to India. In India, we were processed again and after some delays, boarded a ship and sailed across the Pacific to land in Tacoma, Washington, USA.

This completed my trip around the world as well as the others that were still alive.

The ship home was much more pleasant than the trip over. We were allowed to stay top side on the deck, day and night. The weather was great for November 1945. Mot of us slept onn deck at night. It would be most difficult to relate our feelings as the ship docked in Tacoma when we saw large signs on the warehouses and other buildings that said,

WELCOME HOME! JOB WELL DONE!

The band began to play and people on the docks were cheering, smiling and waving. Yes, most of us had a lump in our throat and a tear in our eye.

We were home.

Older now, with a knowledge of how important life really is. A tremendous price had been paid by many men that gave me the privilege to walk down the gang plank to a...

FREE NATION.
ooOoo

Ray Mitchell lived in Picayune, Mississippi for many years, but died November 13, 2011. I cannot express how deeply proud I feel to have been able to talk with him about his experiences in India and Burma and China. I loved hearing his stories.

Interview with Dr. Ray Mitchell is here. 

It is so incredibly sad that our WWII veterans are dying at the rate of about 1,500 per day. If you have a grandfather, a father, an uncle, aunt, grandmother, mother who served in our Armed Forces in any war, I strongly urge you to take the time to sit and talk with them about it. It is something that you will never forget and you won't be the same after it.

Some history students at Picayune Memorial High School had this kind of opportunity every year. What is so wonderful is that it rejuvenates the veterans, and educates the young people. There was a decided spring in their step after that day, so says one of the teachers who helped bring that march through history alive and real to some high school history students.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Gina, Dr. Mitchell is my grandfather. Thank you for posting this information. I have a lot of it saved, too. My mother recorded some before she died, while I was in Afghanistan. She would send me pieces of it so I could share it with my buddies. Let me know if you need anything else.

Brian Davis

Unknown said...

Gina, Dr. Mitchell is my grandfather. Thanks for taking this information. Before my mother died she had done some of this.

Daddy Ray and I share stories all the time, but I never write them on paper.

Thanks again.

Brian Davis

Anonymous said...

Great memories and that's great that the Picayune high school history students sat down with some WWII veterans and talked with them. We got an invitation the other day to be charter members of the National World War II Museum, which is going to be in New Orleans as a greatly expanded D-Day Museum.

I don't know if you can find some local tie to that to write about in the Picayune Item, but you might contact them and see. That will be a great museum to have so close by to Picayune and people need to know about it.

We've been to the D-Day museum several times and purchased bricks with the names, ranks and service of both Tom's older brother who served in WWII and my son, who is a Marine Corps officer veteran of the first Gulf War.

Good post, Gina!

Cheers & Blessings to you all today! Dee

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Brian! That's great. He is a most fun person to talk with, I enjoyed our talk very much.

I still have all his stuff and will get it back to him as soon as possible... be sure and tell him you want this, because he doesn't think you'd be interested. At least, that is the impression he gave me.

Unknown said...

I don't know how he thinks I wouldn't be interested. I tell him all the time. Oh well, I'll keep telling him, but when you see him it wouldn't hurt for you to mention it too.

Thanks, again.

My email is
parkdirector@ci.vestaviahills.al.us

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Oh, rats! Brian, I'm sorry. I published your post and left your email for all to see! Can you go in and edit it and take it out? You do not want every spammer out there to be emailing you junk, which I assure you they will. I'm sorry!

Dee, that is so sweet! Thanks! This was one of the most interesting stories I ever wrote!