Sin and flaws: Is there a difference?

We are not stuck with permanent flaws.

What a relief!

We all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. So where is the connection?

I have done some most ugly things which, if I allow myself to dwell upon them, shame me to the core. I know I am not alone in this because anyone can open the Bible up to just about any page and see sinful acts by God’s saints. He knew this would happen from the beginning and that is why from the beginning He had a plan. Sins are events. Sin is forgiven those who realize they have sinned, confess that sin, and ask God for forgiveness because Jesus made that ultimate sacrifice so it would be. Sin only defines those who are not saved and who reject Jesus. However…

Satan’s plan is to steal, kill and destroy, and to smear the consciences as well as the reputations of all God’s children. He will latch on to a sin and from his point of view make that sin our identity. But, as I told my pastor last night, those horrible things I have done are not even an itch between God's shoulder blades. Why do I let Satan toss a memories at me from his Accusation File Folder?

Sometimes I want to just throw myself down and beg God to forgive me for something I did years ago. Why does this guilt hang around my neck like a mill stone? Because I allow it. Sanctification is working with God against the flaws that instigate sin. Not against sin itself. As Paul puts it, he wants to present us to God without wrinkle, blemish or spot dressed in bright, white linen. Wrinkles come from sitting down on the job. Blemishes come from devouring junk food. And spots come from wallowing where we do not belong as God’s children.

I am not stuck with permanent flaws, but Satan would have me believe such. He throws those things at me to make me believe it was a continual thing rather than a single event. He digs around in his Accusation File throwing those at me to keep me from my sweet relationship with the Most Holy God. Paul had the same problem, or at least he spoke of it:

2 Corinthians 1:8 For, brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant as to our affliction having happened to us in Asia, that we were excessively burdened beyond our power, so as for us even to despair of living. 9 But we ourselves have the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust on ourselves, but on God, the One raising the dead.

With power like that, who can defeat us? With power like that, how can we fail? Father, help us to wake up with You on our minds and to always ask You to manage our time and to help us use Your energy in us forever and ever. Amen

No comments: