Big Words

How's your vocabulary? With the onset of the texting generation, our use of really good words that your tongue wraps around is fading. Here's a test. To help you render the correct word from the less used, "big" word are these restatements of tried and true proverbs. If I think about it, I'll post the answers tomorrow.


 1.All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not  truly auriferous.

 2.Sorting on the part of mendicants must be interdicted.

 3.Male cadavers are incapable of rendering testimony.

4.Neophite's serendipity.

5.A revolving lithic conglomerate accumulates no congeries of small, green, biophytic plant.

 7.Members of an avian species of identical plumage tend to congregate.

 8.Pulchritude possesses solely cutaneous profundity.

 9.Freedom from incrustations of grime is contiguous to rectitude.

 10.It is fruitless to become lachrymose of precipitately departed lacteal fluid.

 11.Eschew the implement of correction and vitiate the scion.

12.The stylus is more potent than the rapier.

 13.It is fruitless to attempt to indoctrinate a superannuated canine with innovative maneuvers.

14.Surveillance should precede saltation.

15. Scintillate, scintillate, asteroid minim. (not a proverb)

 16.The person presenting the ultimate cachinnation possesses thereby the optimal cachinnation.


17. Exclusive dedication to necessitous chores without interludes of hedonistic diversion renders John a hebetudinous fellow.

18.Individuals who make their abodes in vitreous edifices would be advised to refrain from catapulting petrious projectiles.

19.Where there are visible vapors having their provenance in  ignited carbonaceous materials, there is conflagration.

20. Sufficiency so fanciful to satisfy the situation. (not a proverb)



3 comments:

Stan said...

Fun game. I won't play because I'll cheat. But I get most of them.

There was a movie several years back where the teacher had a sign over the blackboard that I just loved ... because I understood it. It read, "Eschew obfuscation." Nice.

Then there's the whole "King's English" problem. I deal with people from the UK in my work. Someone asked me for drawings of "the bespoke parts". Now, I know that "bespoke" is the past tense of "bespeak", meaning "to indicate", but it didn't fit into the sentence that way. Then I found out that "bespoke" is a British word for "custom made". Sigh. Two people separated by a common language.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

And I do love the big words you come up with!! I now know something I did not know before... bespoke. So is Bespeak the equivalent of in the state of being custom made?

Stan said...

Leave it to the British to change the rules of English. No, in British English, "bespeak" isn't even related to "bespoke".