The Bicycle


I do lament today's throw-away society. So often we acquire a "pretty" and then something happens to mar the pretty and we throw it away. My dad never threw anything away. His shop out back was filled to the brim and the overflow surrounded it like undulating waves hitting the sides of a swimming pool. That's my Dad, fixing a fence outside their little trailer. That's me superimposed. (Those little Brownie cameras were sometimes difficult to use, but my Mom never missed a chance to take some pictures.)

Back to my Dad. He saw potential in everything he looked at. A roll of wire could tie down, hang up or hold together anything. Coca Cola was good for drinking on a hot day and cleaning battery tops. Nails that held boards together for years would hold other boards together if one just pulled them out properly and the boards could build a mighty fine fence and a gate. See?

When I was a kid, I never realized how poor were were. All our things looked brand new. We had a great house and a car and a truck. That's not poor! But what sacrifice did those blessings come?

We didn't see Dad all that much when we were kids. He would eat breakfast with us and then Mom insisted we wait dinner on him. Sometimes we wouldn't eat until 8:00 pm. He worked 6 days a week and Mom worked, too. We didn't know what latch key kids were, but that's what we were. I never heard a single complaint from Dad. When it came time for me and then my sister to go to college, Dad got extra jobs and said, holding out his work worn hands, "As long as I've got these two hands, my daughters will go to college without help from anyone." That wasn't pride. That was determination born from the Great Depression and deep, deep poverty. He never had shoes in the summer and his pockets held a stick called Stick Boy instead of quarters and nickles. He carried around the same 33 cents in his pocket for 6 months. He knew the value of a penny, not just a dollar.

However, we did not have a lot of extras like lavish vacations. We camped at Lake Bruin which is very close to where that picture above was taken at Lake Yucatan. We always had good things, though. Like our bicycles. I never knew until I was an adult that Dad rebuilt and refurbished our first bicycles. Green, mine. Blue, my sister's. Gorgeous, sparking in the sun and looked like racing bikes, so beautiful, in fact that they went missing from behind our house. We never saw them again, but by then we were taking a bus to school and not having to ride our bikes to school. Dad always wanted the best for us, always, which is why he worked such long hours and why he labored over those rusty bikes making them sparkling new again.

The same thing was true about the house he built on Lake Bruin. They didn't have a lot of money, but he labored for 25 years over a house to retire in. Imagine that. The patience that takes.

In the picture below, you can see the biplane he built from scratch. Hours and hours he stretched and schelacked (sp?) the fabric on the wings and body. The Buker (that's supposed to be a u with 2 little dots over it), it was called. It is upside down, not the picture. Dad invented a breather for the fuel system so that the engine would get the fuel even though the plane was not flying right side up. Many airshows and Fly-ins featured this plane and the pilot, Marion Cole. What times we had at those.

The land at Lake Yucatan was sold. The bicycles were stolen. The biplane was sold. The log house at Lake Bruin was sold. Other people enjoy the labors of my father. Oh, but that isn't what is imporant. My father left a much better legacy than money could buy or labor could earn. He instilled in my sister and me a deep and abiding love for our heavenly Father. It was he that brought us to church and lived a life that reflected Jesus. Through him, we understood what a gentle and loving heavenly Father we had. Through his love and servanthood, we understood what God expected of us in our Christian walk. Oh, he wasn't perfect. He had some strange ideas at times. But, my Dad was a wonderful Christian man who always held out a helping hand no matter how few the coins in his pocket because he could always go out to the shop and find something to fix the problem and he always depended on God to guide him, teaching us to do the same.

He lives with the Lord now. How precious the thought that one day I will be with him again, but I am also a bit jealous of where he is. I want to be there, too.

9 comments:

michael snyder said...

Awesome post, Gina. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us.

Pilot Mom said...

Gina, how blessed you were! What a gifted man your dad was! Those are wonderful memories and the best part is that you will be reunited in the future! My father, too, was a godly man and like you I miss him and like you I am a bit jealous of where he is. One day, my time will come as will yours...it will be sweet, very sweet! :)

David Meigs said...

What a lovely story about your dad. What a man? It must have been wonderful to have Christian parents, and to have a dad that could build a biplane... Wow! Jesus and the wild blue yonder. Very cool!

The bike memories thing... me too! Been hit by cars, and had countless falls. Good memories all. My last attempt at riding a bike was not long ago. Someday I’ll have the seat surgically removed. Oh what a day that will be!

God bless you!


David

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Thank you, Michael!

Claire, it took a long time of living for me to recognize the caliber of man my Dad was. Yes, I am deeply blessed.

David, what a hoot! I recall trying to ride a bike after not riding for 2 decades and after I picked myself up off the road where the bike tossed me, I was adament it would not be king. After practicing a while, I got pretty good, again. Then the tires blew out. Then not long after that, my bike went missing from behind the house again. What's up with that, I wonder.

Anonymous said...

Greetings...your dad reminds me of my uncle...he was self reliant and was a hard worker to support his family. He and his brothers ran for twenty plus years Underwood Construction. I can still go to the houses they had built...they were very distinct. I envied my cousins for having a great father in Sonny Underwood (now deceased). He was a vetrean of the Korean war...the son of parents who knew what the Depression was.He was active in the Pentcostal Church.

My dad is a tough one to figure out. He is talented and a hard worker...but he never followed through and never finished. He always had a ready excuse to blame everyone else for his problems. On the positive he served in the Coast Guard and received a medical discharge when he lost his right thumb during a rescue. He worked on the tail section of the Boeing 767 in the early 60's and moved to Angel's Camp, Ca. He worked at a sawmill, as a Ranch hand, and a Ore Crusher Operator for the Pacific Abestoes plant....until it went bankrupt shortly after AFL-CIO striked for higher wages when the market for the product was on the decline. To their boys he was a Scout Master and Sunday School Teacher.
At home...he would fly into a rage when dinner wasn't ready when he came home from work, when it too long for the family to get ready for Church, and when money was too short and he could not buy his cigarettes. Poor grade, dirty rooms and other infractions would lead to what he called "spankings"...but his temper turned them into beating with a leather belt he had braided for the purpose of raising welts. He would openly put me and my brothers down as stupid and idiots when he and mom fought. He would open say..during his many fights with Mom.."You want those brats, I didn't want kids. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't be broke all the time." But this same man...when we were sick with the flu was very tender. He would take us to the Middle Fork to camp and fish every summer, he was good at wood working and leather crafts. He was a nominal Christians and hated going to Church or talk about his conversion. Yet he was very knowldegable about the Bible and usuall impressed the Pastors as a godly man. So I learned to live with a man that was a changable as weather is in the mountians. I came to accept all of this as "normal"...and to love him for all his faults and forgive him for his abuses. We are not friends...just acquaintances...with a tact understanding that we do not talk about the past.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Jer, my heart breaks for you in your growing up years. That sounds like my Dad's dad except for he never knew the Bible or even the Lord, I'm thinking... not judging. It was a harsh upbringing, just like yours. Praise God that He can take coal and make diamonds, eh?

EXSENO said...

Beautiful story Gina,
There are parts of it that remind me very much of my own life growing up. I have often said we were poor, but we never knew it. How is that , that isn't possible now a days,I often wonder?? Is it because there were more people like us back then, so it didn't matter.
Or is it that today people are rude enough to make it clear that you are different.

Another impossible task of today--We always had plenty of food and fresh fruit. I can barely buy all that now.

Jana said...

Thank you for sharing your father with us.

Stephanie said...

Wow-- how inspiring! That is truly amazing. My generation doesn't know what it means to be a good steward or be content with what we have. Thank you for sharing a perspective to show us...