Kindness the Truth

I debated on whether to move on to the next one or to discuss this one a bit more. After all, kindness is the outward evidence of the Spirit. When we show kindness we are extending God's hand to others around us. Frankly, I do not see a whole lot of kindness in the Church. It takes effort and energy and it takes all the other parts of the gift of the Spirit in order to evidence kindness.

A person in deep depression has no thought of exhibiting kindness for he is wrapped up in his own Hell. So it takes joy of the heart in order to have the courage to reach out to fellow man.

If there is no love, then kindness is not evident, nor even a brief thought. For through love springs all the gift of the Spirit because God is love.

Without peace, there is no kindness for turmoil and war in the mind and heart drowns out all thoughts of others and that builds a bridge to depression and despair.

Patience... long-suffering... roots of kindness. A tree with shallow roots falls over in the first huff of wind. Kindness stems from patience because patience stalls the hasty reply, stops the anger before it forms and causes the advent of forgiveness before bitterness can germinate.

Therefore, in Paul's list of the fruit of the Spirit (please note it is all one fruit, not multiple fruits) Kindness is the turning point from the inward spring to the outward flow of the Spirit.

5 comments:

HeyJules said...

Boy, does that ever ring true.

EXSENO said...

'A person in deep depression has no thought of exhibiting kindness for he is wrapped up in his own Hell. So it takes joy of the heart in order to have the courage to reach out to fellow man.'

I can't say that I totally agree with this one, Gina. I have been depressed, but I try to keep it to myself, I know it will pass so why make everyone around me suffer too. I also find time to help and be kind to others during these times, and in so doing it helps me to overcome that depression sooner by not thinking about me but focusing on someone else instead.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

EXACTLY, my dear friend! This is why exhibting kindness when in depression is an illustration of the fruit of the Spirit. It is God overriding that initial knee-jerk response we humans tend to have.

Thank you for pointing out that! I wish I'd thought of it before I posted :)

Valerie said...

Excellent reflection, Gina. Thanks!

Sonya Triggs-Wharton said...

You are right on target about a person who is depresed not being able to exhibit kindness. I know that the more I get wrapped up in myself, the less I give of myself to other people. And my excuse is usually that if I haven't taken care of myself, how can I take care of other people? Of course, I realize that, though this is true, I often use my self-centeredness as an excuse not to have to give to other people. Hopefully, God will continue to work on me as I continue to grow my own personal 'fruit'.