Honoring Mom -- the second grader way



=====  Friday's Thought For The Day (May 10, 2013) from Pastor Alan Smith =====

THE MOTHERLY SIDE OF GOD

In honor of upcoming Mother's day, here are some humorous answers given by second grade children to the following questions about mothers:

Why did God make mothers?
1.  She's the only one who knows where the scotch tape is.
2.  Mostly to clean the house.
3.  To help us out of there when we were getting born.

How did God make mothers?
1.  He used dirt, just like for the rest of us.
2.  Magic plus super powers and a lot of stirring 3.  God made my mom just the same like he made me. He just used bigger parts.

What ingredients are mothers made of?
1.  God makes mothers out of clouds and angel hair and everything nice in the world and one dab of mean.
2.  They had to get their start from men's bones. Then they mostly use string, I think.

What kind of little girl was your mom?
1.  My mom has always been my mom and none of that other stuff.
2.  I don't know because I wasn't there, but my guess would be pretty bossy.

What would it take to make your mom perfect?
1.  On the inside she's already perfect. Outside, I think some kind of plastic surgery.
2.  Diet. You know her hair. I'd diet, maybe blue.

If you could change one thing about your Mom, what would it be?
1.  She has this weird thing about me keeping my room clean. I'd get rid of that.
2.  I'd make my Mom smarter. Then she would know it was my sister who did it and not me.
3.  I would like for her to get rid of those invisible eyes on the back of her head.

     I could say much about the godly attributes of Christian women, but allow me to say something about the motherly attributes of God.  We don't often think of God as being like a mother, but there is a motherly side of God.  Don't worry, this is not an attempt to be politically correct, and I have nothing but disdain for the versions of the Bible that change all references of God to a feminine gender.  But there are passages of scripture that compare God to a mother.

     Keep in mind that we're dealing with metaphors, figures of speech:  God is a father, a mother, a shepherd, a king, a fire, a shield, a rock.  All of those words provide comparisons to help us understand who Almighty God is and what he's like. 

     God said to the Jews, "As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you." (Isaiah 66:13).  God comforts us like a mother comforts her children.

     In Hosea 13:8, God said, "I will meet them like a bear deprived of her cubs; I will tear open their rib cage, and there I will devour them like a lion."   God protects us like a mother protects her babies.

     In Isaiah 49:15, God said, "Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb?  Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you."  God is even more devoted than a mother!

     I thank God for the godly mothers who will receive this e-mail.  But, beyond that, I thank God that He loves me as only a mother can -- without reservation, in spite of my shortcomings, and with a love that will never end!

Have a great day!

Alan Smith
Helen Street Church of Christ
Fayetteville, North Carolina 



To subscribe to "Thought For the Day," send a blank email to join-thought-for-the-day@hub.xc.org

No comments: