Don't wrestle with pigs...or pitbulls

Sage advice. Who would want to wrestle with pigs?

Isn't that just what we do when we fire back at someone who has hurt our feelings which is what Michael Hyatt is saying. It isn't worth the fight, is it, for Believers to jab and stab at every opportunity. I have heard some folks wax on proudly that they have some great debating skills like being macho with words is something to be proud of. Well, in my book it isn't. How does that edify the body?

I have also seen some people back out of a discussion simply because they hate conflict even though a person's soul was at stake! That isn't edifying the body either.

There has to be a "happy medium" somewhere and I'm not talking psychic-ally. It comes in the form of words that build up rather than tear down. A calm voice has the ability to silence the loudest shout [tweet this]. simply because of its softness My kids would be screaming in the bathtub and I would go in talking softly in a mild voice or even a whisper and they would instantly hush because they wanted to hear what I was saying.

Of course, content was important, too. If I was just saying, "Hush, now. It's all right." They'd instantly begin their screaming all over again. But, if I started talking about a snack waiting for them at the table or a storybook I wanted to read them or some other child-interesting tidbit, they would hurriedly finish their purpose in the bath, all fusses with the other forgotten.

Sad, isn't it, that adults can't be distracted so easily. I find that adults have a tenacity of purpose when they are breathing anger and murder on their way down that road to Damascus. They neither veer to the right or to the left and the puffs of fire-tinged smoke rise about them, so cloudy sometimes that I cannot fathom what they are saying.

Therefore, I'm changing the sage advice to "Don't wrestle with pigs, or with bull dogs. You'll get muddy and rabid. Neither of these is a comfortable state of being."

No comments: