Faith of a child


"Would you like to take a walk with me?" my grandfather held out his huge hand.

Eagerly, I jumped up and ran to him, my tiny fingers barely able to grip his. I was somewhere between one and two. I remember I was fascinated by the sun in the trees; and Granddad asked this question of me every day. As we would walk down the gravel road, he was very careful of the ruts, holes and rocks for us both.


I, on the other hand, walked with my face toward the sun, watching the play of light in the leaves. I had no notion where I put my feet or which direction I was walking, but always trusting that Granddad would never let me fall or wander from the path we trod together.

I do not know why I have this memory, or why it has stayed so vibrant with me for more than five decades (that makes me sound old). I'm walking, safe and secure with my eyes lifted above, no fear of where my feet were going.

This is how it should be with God. If we hold on to His hand, if we trust He will not lead us into temptation and will deliver us from evil, then we can keep our eyes lifted to Him and never fear where our feet are walking. Even when we drop our eyes for that fleeting instant, He is there to grab us and lift us from the depths as He did Peter in the storm. There is nothing He cannot do. 

5 comments:

EXSENO said...

very nice post.

Sonya Triggs-Wharton said...

Oh, to love God with the love of a child! I miss my 7 year-old self - she was so brave, so pure, so willing to believe in the goodness of life and of God. As a matter of fact, she never questioned the existence of God, the fact that He loved her and the fact that she belonged exclusively to Him!

It's only the bumps and bruises of life that take us away from our true selves... Thank you for reminding me of my 'true' self, Gina.

HeyJules said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Gina-how true the words-unless you become like little children......! peter

lioneagle said...

Hi Gina -

Such truth you speak. Thank you for sharing...

It is so comforting to know how our heavenly Father watches over us.

Thank you, Lord!