Landon Snow & The Auctor's Riddle


I'm a little late with this review. Randy, I'm sorry! Putting that aside...

Let me tell you that RK Mortenson has published a super book for 8-12 year olds. I read it, and was enthralled. It is thought provoking and educational without being teachy, you know?

I loved it! If you have any kids on your list, this would be a great Christmas present.

I asked Randy a question:

Gina: What did you learn about yourself and about God as you wrote this book. How has that affected you today?

Randy: Interesting questions...

I was struggling with the writing/publishing dream for a decade, meaning I was trying to get something published, but to no avail. At more than one point I prayed that God would take away the incredible desire I had to be published if it wasn't meant to be. If anything, the desire increased. So I learned along the way that I had a lot to learn! I learned patience and perseverance in a rather tangible way. I learned to accept rejection(s) and seek to grow from it. One verse that I held on to is Psalm 37:4: "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." For as important as writing is to me, without God it is not satisfying or fulfilling.

The whole process of writing and learning and praying and dreaming and striving and studying and waiting and yearning revealed to me just how ambitious I really was. It's hard to describe this drive that almost feels like a need, to read and write, along with the hunger for getting published. I continue to learn from it and continue to grow as a writer and as a person. Because it's so strong, it drives me to my knees in search of God's guidance, wisdom, strength, peace, and humility. I am thankful for that.

In the end, of course, God's Word sums it up: "Of making many books there is no end..." Ecclesiastes 12:12, "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." These words put things into perspective. As important as my book may be to me, well, I recognize that in the great scheme of things there are much more important things--God, eternity,family, other people--to consider. Only God's Word is eternal; my feeble words, for as much energy and time I put into them, will simply pass away.

I hope that answers the questions. :-) Thanks for the thought- and heart-provokers.

Blessings,
Randy

Just click on Landon Snow and the Auctor's Riddle and you can purchase this beautiful book.


2 comments:

EXSENO said...

A really inspiring post Gina, and congras, graduation, wow, I'm so proud of you I could bust!

Anonymous said...

just came from curm's site and his current post is also about this book. hmm... makes me want to buy one for myself already. wish i have kids to share it with.