Big words...

I love learning new words. I am somewhat of a wordsmith, but I do not like to have to read an article or text book with a dictionary in the other hand. Use of words is truly important because if used out of sync to the meaning, then it only makes the user of the word look foolish. Since the word euphonious is an adjective meaning melodious, to say an euphonious keeps you smart would make a musician laugh and a professor scratch his head.

I have tested some of my stories with the grammatical feature on Word and find that with some I'm writing at a 5th grade level and with others, I'm at 10th grade. One has to wonder what makes the grammatical thing tick? Is it the use of big words? Is it the length of sentences? It certainly isn't the subject matter per se. I'm just wondering...