Jane Austin tossed

By Gina Burgess
Lifestyles Editor
The Herald Sun reported on Thursday that David Lassman sent to publishers in London England several of Jane Austin’s works: “Pride and Prejudice”, “Northanger Abby”, and “Persuasion” with his name on them. He did this because he was bumfuzzeled his own work, a thriller, had not been bought. ABC reported Friday morning that nine publishers returned the submissions unopened because they do not accept unsolicited manuscripts.

Lassman said only one editor called him on the unabashed plagiarism. However, his point was made.

I have been bogged down with so many bad works that I am bumfuzzeled there isn’t at least one or two new authors out there that have the talent of Jane Austin or Alexander Dumas or Baroness Emmuska Orczy who wrote “The Scarlet Pimpernel”. Their works were not blatantly Christian, although God was mentioned and morals played a large part in the plots. There was no foul language or graphic sexual content in their works. They wrote excellent stories. The emphasis was story, not “realism”. The realism came through, of course, because of human nature. That is what makes an excellent story real, not foul words or graphic scenes. When will writer’s learn this simple fact?

I know publishers have huge amounts of slush piles (that’s a stack of unsolicited manuscripts that are almost never read). But, if Jane Austin gets tossed, we are in real trouble. That speaks volumes about how books get chosen for publishing.

Here we have a situation that is not only annoying, but frightening, too. Publishers who are very well respected in the literary circles as well as by the buying public rejected the works that have stood the test of time for 200 years, not to mention the multi-millions of dollars they have made around the world (remember “Bride and Prejudice from Bollywood”?).

Maybe the publishers problem is the screening process. Maybe their problem is... I don’t know what their problem is.
In my job, I am not at liberty to just review Christian books. I must also look at things from the secular lists. That scares me to death.

It would seem that standards have deteriorated to fluffy-nothings or course discourses peppered with vulgarities of foul words and graphic scenes. What, I ask you, is literary about that?

I hear the refrain, “I wanted it to be as real as possible.” That is the mantra of almost every writer I have come in contact with, including the Christian fiction writers on two message boards. It is fiction. What, I ask you, is real about fiction? But, that is beside the point.

When I was about 10, a new mall was built in Monroe, La. My mom and sister would shop the clothes stores and I would shop the book store. I used to spend my entire allowance on books at a secular bookstore. I spent my evenings and free time on weekends reading. Television never held any fascination for me, besides my imagination was much more vivid when reading than watching something on TV. The books are always better than the movies. (Remember “Bride and Prejudice” from Bollywood?)

Even the movie “Gone With the Wind” paled in comparison to the book by Margaret Mitchell. My parents were subjected to many burned dinners until I finished that book.

I think movies and television have snatched the creativity from our children, which is why there are so few really creative, imaginative, and good literary works today. And which is why publishers seem satisfied with publishing fluffy nothings or course discourses. And which is why the buying public is not discriminating enough to demand better fare.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Dearest Gina,
Greetings and salutations dear sister.:) It's been awhile...I hope you and your mom are well and enjoying Picayune and all it has to offer!
I am very rarely online these days. I get to the library 1 - 2 times a week and use their internet but only have 1 hour intervals to do so. I always enjoy your posts but particularly was interested in the "Jane Austin" topic. I don't know what I would do without her! :)
At the beginning of Summer I read all her books and rented every Pride and Prejudice that has been produced or recorded as well as the Sense and Sensibility DVD. At home we are off line as well as satellite and cable free..so we have been spending much of our time at the library stocking up on books.
Well..I enjoyed "Jane Austin" so much that when I finished reading all of her books I checked out two books from "Lynn Austin"..The strength of his hand from her Chronicles of the King series and Candle In The Darkness. I can't wait to get to know her as well!!
I am so thrilled with books and reading and happy to say my children are also taking great delight in itl. K.T. has been enjoying the "Christie Miller" series and my son...D.C. comics..well at least he's reading! :)

Blessings to you Gina!!!!!!!
Love and hugs,
Laurie

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Oh, dear Laurie! I am so glad to hear from you! I am so delighted you have enjoyed all of Jane Austin. I treasure my visits with her. She has such a marvelous gift for building tension between the characters that I nearly resort to biting my nails... I said, nearly LOL.

I love you and miss you, dear one!

I have learned to be content where ever I am Phil 4:11

EXSENO said...

Gina,
Speaking of Jane Austin, last year our local library had a book sell and I bought to small book by Jane Austin. I only paid fifty cents for them. Manfield Park Vol. 1 and Vl2. I didn't know at the time what I was getting. Looks like they were published in 1903. I tried to reserch them on the net and found one book place that prices them at aprox. 80 to 100 dollars. I don't know what to do with them or how to find out just how valuable they are. Any suggestions? The book although the pages are not torn or bent it doesn't really look like anyone has read them. They might have been library books though because it looks like something was maybe glued in and taken back off of the inside cover.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Exseno, that is so interesting!

One thing is to store them away from sunlight, in a cool place. That will keep the acid in the paper from deteriorating the paper.

Where did you research them? There are some very reputable book dealers that will appraise them for you.

I wouldn't send them off to be appraised, though.