Sweet fragrance

(Gen 8:21 MSG) GOD smelled the sweet fragrance and thought to himself, "I'll never again curse the ground because of people. I know they have this bent toward evil from an early age, but I'll never again kill off everything living as I've just done.

I love perfume... the kind that smells nice. Why are there so many different kinds of perfume that stink? On me?

Chemistry.

Body chemistry reacts with the chemicals in the perfume and causes either a pleasing smell, an odor most foul, or a non-smell.

But, I digress. We were talking about God smelling a sweet fragrance which caused him to promise never again to destroy all living things in the same manner... by flood. Was it really the smoking meat of the burnt offering that was sweet smelling to God?

No, of course not. It was Noah's obedience that was the sweet fragrance. God love's obedience. Just like a parent who simply cannot resist the child who is obedient. Lest we over step here, God does not love us because of our obedience. He loves us in spite of our sinfulness and ugliness. He loved us first, then He sent His Son. That was the greatest gift of all.

Of course there isn't anywhere in Scripture that says, Jesus was a Gift, but there numerous passages that refer to offerings, and what is an offering but a gift? What was Jesus but a wondrous sacrifice, an offering from God and the sweetness of the Messiah's obedience rose up as the sweetest perfume from anywhere on earth or in heaven. The cost of it was beyond price, the benefit of it has no price.

So the word of today is Obedience - a sweet fragrance to the LORD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

not my first time to hear about OBEDIENCE this year. it's part of it, but mostly it's ephesians 6:12. that verse kept coming up the past two days. today is no different. i know God is telling me something here. whenever i pray for my husband, that verse comes up.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Yes, I know what you mean! God brings verses to me when He is trying to teach me something. What I love about Him is His patience while He teaches me!